On 17/02/2021 at 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
The first meeting of the WAND virtual book club! We’ll be running the book club online every other month throughout 2021.
We’ll be using books as a starting-off point for learning about and discussing the female experience from a variety of different perspectives. You don’t have to have read the whole book to come along – a section or a chapter is fine. We’ll also suggest some alternative materials on a similar theme that you can use in addition to or instead of reading the book.
Bad Feminist is a collection of essays in which Gay writes about episodes in her life and explores the contradictions of being a feminist while loving things that could seem at odds with feminist ideology. Waterstones called it ‘a sharp, funny and sincere look at the ways in which the culture we consume becomes who we are, and an inspiring call-to-arms of all the ways we still need to do better.‘
Free versions available:
- Contact your local library to request a copy
- Available through BorrowBox online or the BorrowBox app: a free audio book library, accessible to anyone with a Dorset or BCP library card.
- Available on Audible (you can get a free 30 day trial)
- Confessions of a Bad Feminist: 12 minute TED talk by Roxane Gay
- Time magazine interview with Roxane Gay
- The Guilty Feminist podcast
- Jameela Jamil’s “I Weigh” podcast – episode featuring Roxane Gay
- LGBTQ&A podcast – another podcase featuring an interview with Roxane Gay
- Introduction to Bad Feminist published on Buzzfeed
Click here to register and receive the Zoom link.
Please let us know if you have any access needs and we will do our very best to accommodate you.
You are welcome to book club meetings whether or not you are able to donate.
Keep an eye on our Events page for news of upcoming Book Clubs.