Wednesday 23 June 2021 7.00-8.30pm Borough Gardens, Dorchester
The third instalment of WAND’s bi-monthly book club is here! In June, we’ll be discussing “Invisible Women – Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed For Men”.
About the book
In this book, Caroline Criado Perez (feminist, author, journalist and activist) explores the “gender data gap” as a cause of gender inequality. Since men are often treated as the “default” in research, the consequences for women are extremely significant. Invisible Women brings together a wide range of case studies and stories which illustrate the hidden ways in which women are forgotten.
No pressure to read the whole book!
No time to read the whole book? Don’t worry! You don’t have to have read the whole book to come along – feel free to pick one chapter that particularly interests you. Alternatively, here dip into one of these online resources to get a flavour of the subject, and join the conversation!
- 1 hour YouTube film: Caroline Criado Perez interview for the Fawcett Society
- 50-minute listen: Caroline Criado Perez on the History Becomes Her podcast
- 5-minute listen: Caroline Criado Perez talks on NPR
- Article: Caroline Criado Perez explains Invisible Women to Wired Magazine
Free versions of the book available:
- Contact your local library to request a copy
- Free e-book available to Dorset and BCP library card holders via CloudLibrary (online or in app)
- Free audio book available to Dorset and BCP library card holders via BorrowBox (online or in app)
- Available on Audible (you can get a free 30 day trial)
Outdoor meeting: meet by the bandstand in Borough Gardens. Bring layers and/or a blanket in case it gets nippy later. Picnics welcome!
Book club meetings are free to attend, but participants are invited to make a small voluntary donation in support of our chosen charity, the Shine Project. Find out all about their work here. If you are in a position to donate at this time, you can do it through our GoFundMe page.
Get in touch
For further info or any questions, please email us or send us a message via Facebook. We hope to see you there!